Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
WILLESDEN, a parish and suburb of the metropolis, in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 5 miles N.W. of London, or 3 from Hyde Park Corner.
It is a junction station on the London and North-Western, North London, Blackwall and Hampstead junction, North and South-western junction, and London and South-Western lines. The place was granted by charter of King Athelstan to St. Paul's Cathedral, London, in which it makes eight prebends, and is mentioned in Domesday Survey as Willesdone. The surface lies high, and contains the source of several streams which fall into the river Brent. The parish contains part of the chapelry of Kilburn and the hamlets of Neasdon, Harlesden, Dollis Hill, Sherrick Green, and Willesden Green, with the demesne of Brandesbury House, formerly the seat of the Salusburys. The population of the parish in 1861 was 3,879, and its acreage 4,190. The Kensall Green Cemetery is partly within this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £150, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The ancient parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains five brasses dating from 1492, and the tomb of General Otway. There was formerly an image of the Virgin.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated 4 Nov 2003, by David Hawgood. ©2003]