"CHESSINGTON, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Copthorne, in the county of Surrey, 4 miles S. of Kingston, its post town, and 4 N. of Epsom. The Epsom and Leatherhead branch of the London and South-Western line, passes within a few miles.
The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Malden, in the patronage of Merton College, Oxford. The church, originally of the 13th century, was restored and reopened in 1854. The charities amount to £10 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes. Henry Gosse, Esq., is lord of the manor."