EWELL, a parish in the hundreds of Copthorne and Reigate, county Surrey, 1 mile N.E. of Epsom, 5 miles S.E. of Kingston, and 13 S.W. of London. There are two railway stations-that on the London and Brighton line to the S., and that of the London and South-Western to the N.W. of the town. It is situated on the river Hogs Mill, and includes the district of Kingswood.
The chief employments of the labouring population are in the gunpowder mills, potteries, and brickmaking. There are flour-mills and malt-kilns in operation. A market was formerly held here. It gives name to a deanery in the archdeaconry of Surrey and diocese of Winchester.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £277.
There is also a district church at Kingswood, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £100. The parish church is a commodious modern edifice of stone. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains monuments of the Bulkeley, Glyn, and other families, also brasses and tablets dating from the early part of the 16th century. These were removed from the old church, which was pulled down, with the exception of the tower. The register commences in 1604. The charitable endowments produce about £170 per annum, £21 of which are for school purposes.
There is a National school for boys and girls, and infants' schools. There is also a flourishing mechanics' institute. In the parish are two manors, Ewell and Fitznell. Edward R. Northey, Esq., is lord of the first, and Mrs. Gadesden lady of the latter. Fairs are held on the 12th May and 29th October for live stock.