"FETCHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Copthorne, county Surrey, 1 mile S.W. of Leatherhead, its post town, and 6 N. of Dorking. The river Mole forms the N.E. boundary of the parish, and there is a small lake supplied by springs, which, after giving power to a flourmill, forms a tributary of that stream. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of woodland.
The living is a rectory' in the diocese of Winchester, value £363. The church is a structure of the Middle Ages, built of flints, pebbles, chalk, and Roman tiles. It was originally in the form of a cross, and is now partly covered with ivy. The register commences in 1559. The parochial charities produce nearly £70 per annum. There is a National school. In 1758 many skeletons were found here, supposed to be those of the Saxons and Danes who perished in the pursuit after the battle of Ockley, in 815."