"GUILDFORD, comprises the parishes of Holy Trinity, St. Mary, and St. Nicholas, it is a market town, parliamentary and corporate borough, and the county town of county Surrey, locally situate in the first division of Woking hundred, but exercising separate jurisdiction, 30 miles S.W. of London, by the turnpike road through Kingston, Cobham, &c., and nearly 1 mile more by the South-Western railway, which has a station here. It is very pleasantly situated on the chalk downs and river Wey, and the Arun and Wey canal passes through it."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an organisation
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
The Genuki Surrey pages are maintained by Peter Christian.
This page was last updated on 3 Mar 2011.