GENUKI Home page
Sussex Sussex Contents Contents Neighbours Nearby places

Albourne, Sussex

Map of Sussex

Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.

ALBOURNE is a parish, 3 and a half miles from Hassocks Gate station, 9 from Brighton, 13 from Lewes, and 46 from London, in the Western division of the county; Bramber rape, Tipnoak hundred, Cuckfield union and county court district, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church of St. Bartholomew was entirely rebuilt, except a portion of the chancel, in 1853; it consists of nave, chancel, and wooden turret with 1 bell. The register dates from 1550. The living is a rectory, yearly value 300 with residence, in the gift of the Rev. John Goring, and held by the Rev. William Smith Dear, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is some market gardening. The Rev. J. Goring and W. Borrer Esq., are the principal landowners: the former is lord of the manor. The area is 1,740 acres; the population in 1861 was 341.

[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]

Census

The census piece nos for Albourne are:

Church Records

Directories

History

Memorial Inscriptions


Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

The Genuki Sussex pages are maintained by Peter Christian.

This page was last updated on 10 August 2014