GENUKI Home page
Sussex Sussex Contents Contents Neighbours Nearby places

Alciston, Sussex

Map of Sussex

Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.

ALCISTON is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Pevensey rape, Alciston hundred, West Firle union, Lewes archdeaconry and county court district, and diocese of Chichester, one mile west from Berwick statIon, 57 miles from London, 7 south-east from Lewes, and 6 south-west from Hailsham, on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, at the foot of the South Downs. The church (name unknown) is ancient; and has two piscinae and a fine old octagonal stone font, and has been restored. The register dates from 1575. The living is a vicarage consolidated with that of Selmeston, in the alternate gift of the Bishop and of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, joint yearly value 210 with residence, and held by the Rev William Douglas Parish, S.C.L., of Trinity College, Oxford. Lord Gage is principal landowner and lord of the manor. The chief crop is wheat. There are remains of a monastery. The area is 2,079 acres, and the population in 1861, was 220.

[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]

Church History

Church Records

Directories


Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

The Genuki Sussex pages are maintained by Peter Christian.

This page was last updated on 10 August 2014