Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BERWICK is a small parish and railway station, on the Brighton and South Coast line, in the Eastern division of the county, union of West Firle, hundred of Longbridge, rape of Pevensey, deanery of Rype, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry and county court district of Lewes. The village is situated on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, distant from the latter 7 miles, 8 from Lewes, and 58 from London. The church (name unknown), which stands upon an eminence, was restored in 1856, and is a neat structure, consisting of nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and west tower, surmounted by a shingled spire. The register dates from 1756. The living is a rectory, yearly value £387, with residence, in the gift of J. Ellman, Esq., and held by the Rev. Edward Boys Ellman, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is a National school. Fuller Meyrick, Esq., and Lord Gage (who is lord of the manor), are the principal landowners. The principal crops are wheat and beans; there is also a large portion of very rich pasture land. The area is 1,097 acres, and the population in 1861 was 169.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]