Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BIGNOR is a parish, 4 miles south from Petworth, in the Western division of the county; Bury hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery of Midhurst, and Petworth county court district. The living is a rectory, yearly value, £143, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Henry Sockett, of Exeter College, Oxford. The village is on the line of the Stane Street Roman way, and near the village the remains of a Roman villa have been uncovered, in which is a pavement of the period, of fine design and in excellent preservation. Area 1,145 acres; the population in 1861 was 167.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]