Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BURPHAM is a village and parish, on the navigable Arun, at the foot of the chalk downs, in the Western division of the county, East Preston union Arundel rape and county court district, Polling hundred. 69 miles south-south-west from London, 4 north-east from Littlehampton station, 3 north east from Arundel: it is composed or three hamlets-BURPHAM, WEPHAM and PEPPERING. The church of St. Mary is an ancient Early Norman structure: it once consisted of nave, north and south transept, south aisle, and south porch (the three latter have been down many years), also a square tower, in the Perpendicular style, and 1 bell: the chancel is of the Early English period, and has a groined roof. The register commences l653. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly value úl45, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Robert Foster, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Here is a National school. On the south side the village is a very remarkable earthen and chalk embankment. The population in 1861 was 256; area, 2,722 acres.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]