Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BURY is a large parish, giving name to a hundred, in the Western division of the county, rape and
deanery of Arundel, Sutton union, Petworth county Court district, diocese and archdeaconry of
Chichester, on the Arundel road, and the navigable river Arun, 5 miles north from Arundel. The church is
ancient, consisting of a nave, aisle, and chancel, in the Early English style: the pews and sittings are very
old, but the interior has been repaired, and the chancel rebuilt: it has a square tower, surmounted by a
spire, and 4 bells. The register dates from 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £364, with
residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester, and held by the Rev. James Carleton King,
M.A., of St. Mary Hall, Oxford. Here are National schools for boys & girls, under the management of the
vicar. The parish comprises 3,340 acres; in 1861 the population was 500.
WEST BURTON is a tithing of Bury, 1 mile north-west, and Horncroft is a hamlet, 2 miles north-west. Parish Clerk, Robert Humphrey.