Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BUXTED (the box place) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Loxfield Camden hundred,
Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county district and archdeaconry, and Chichester diocese, near the
Lewes road and the river Ouse, 2 miles north from Uckfield. The church of St. Margaret is a large and
very ancient stone building in the Decorated style, and consists nave, north and south aisles, chancel and
tower containing 6 bells: here is an inscription to the memory of John de Lewis, without a date: a tomb,
inscribed 1308, has a cross, with a priest in his robes, and other symbols. The register dates from 1568.
The living is a rectory, valued at £718 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of
Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Henry Kingsmill B.A., of Trinity College, Oxford. A fair is held here
yearly for cattle and sheep, on July 31st. Here is a National school; also a place of worship for Calvinists.
The Earl De La Warr is the lord of the manor. There are charities, of £100 annual value, for educational
purposes and apprenticing boys who belong to the parish. Buxted Place and park, now the seat of Col.
Harcourt, J.P., was put into complete repair by the late proprietor.
At HADLOW DOWN, 3 miles east from the village, is the district church, (St. Mark), which has a district assigned to it, formed from the parishes of Buxted and Mayfield. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the rector of Buxted and the vicar of Mayfield, alternately, and is held by the Rev. Reginald Kirby, M.A. The parish comprises of 8,943 acres; the population in 1861 was 1,624