Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
CHAILEY is a parish, giving name to a union, in the Eastern Division of the county, Street hundred, rape county court district and archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester , 3 miles from Cook's Bridge Station, 6 and a half from Lewes, and 43 from London. The church of St Peter is a small edifice of about the twelfth century, which has been enlarged, and has a nave, chancel, south aisle, shingled spire, clock, and 6 bells. The living is a rectory, valued at about £650 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Blencowe and Col. Hepburn, and held by the Rev. Francis Robert Hepburn, M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. There is a National School for about 220 children. Here is the workhouse for Chailey Union, which comprises eleven parishes, viz.:- Barcombe, Chailey, Ditchling, East Chiltington, Hamsey, Newick, Plumpton, Ringmer, Street, Westmeston, and Wivelsfield. There are three receiving houses, - that of Chailey for the able-bodied, the aged at Ditchling, and for the children at Ringmer. The principal landowners are R. W. Blencowe, Esq., Col. Hepburn, Rev. Sir George Shiffner, Bart., Sir Charles Goring, Bart., and James Ingram, Esq. The soil is strong clay, and adapted for making bricks (blue and red), and all sorts of brown pottery ware. The population in 1861 was 1,343. The parish is extensive and wild, containing 5,889 acres.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]