Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
CHICHESTER is an ancient Roman city, the seat of a diocese, and market and polling town, and place of election for the Western division of the county, having an exclusive jurisdiction and giving name to a rape, locally situated in the hundred of Box and Stockbridge, diocese, archdeaconry and deanery of Chichester, on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, 79¼ miles from London by railway and 61 by road, 30 from Southampton, 18 from Portsmouth, 10½ from Arundel, 18 from Worthing, 28½ from Brighton, 63 from Hastings and 36¾ from Lewes, and 7 from Bognor.
This city, which is of very, remote antiquity, was, about the close of the fifth century, taken from the Britons by Ella, whose son Cissa rebuilt it, and called it, after his own name Cissa's Chester, from whence its present name is derived. It is pleasantly situated on a gentle eminence, a few miles south of the South Downs, which stretch along this part of the country, and is nearly surrounded, by the river Lavant, which flows at its base. The port of Chichester is at Dell Quay, about a mile and a half from the city, and a branch of the Arundel and Portsmouth Canal comes up to the southern suburb of the city; but both have been rendered of less importance by the opening of the South Coast Railway. The population in 1861 was 8,045.
KINGSHAM is a detached part of the parish of St. Pancras.