Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
DALLINGTON is a village and parish in the Eastern division of the county, Netherfield hundred, Battle union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington, situated on a range of hills, on the high road from Battle to Lewes 7 miles northwest from Battle station, 6 south-west from Robertsbridge station, and 66 from London by railway. The church of St. Giles is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and square embattled tower containing a good ring of 5 bells, and, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt by voluntary subscriptions in 1864. The parish register dates from 1671. The living is a vicarage, value £200 per annum, with residence, in the girt of the Earl of Ashburnham, and held by the Rev. Ralph Raisbeck Tatham, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a National school, with a good residence for the master. The population in 1861 was 600; area, 2,873 acres. The Earl of Ashburnham is lord of the manor.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]