Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
DITCHLING (or DITCHELLING), eight miles from Brighton and Lewes, and a mile and a half from Hassock's Gate station, is a parish in the Eastern division of the county, Street hundred Chailey union, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Margaret is a cruciform building of the thirteenth century, restored in 1864, and has double piscina and an aumbry and sedilla: there are stained windows by Wailes of Newcastle, and Clayton and Bell, of London. The register dates from 1551. The living is a vicarage, gross value £294 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Richard Hunter, Esq., and held by the Rev. Thomas Hutchinson, M.A., of Clare College; Cambridge. There is a small Unitarian chapel, and a National school for boys and girls. Here are remains of an ancient British camp. W. Tanner, Esq., Lord Abergavenny, and Capt. Richardson are the chief landowners. Bricks, tiles, and brown pottery ware are made in the parish. In 1861 the population was 1,061; area 4,183.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]