Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
EAST CHILTINGTON is a chapelry, annexed to the living of West Meston, in the Eastern division of the county, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, Street hundred, Chailey union, and diocese of Chichester, nearly 5 miles north-west from Lewes, and close to Plumpton railway station. The chapel of ease is a small plain building, with nave, chancel, turret, and 1 bell. The Rev. H. S. Shean is the curate. The soil is strong clay. Captain R. M. Cripps is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 281; the area is about 2,000 acres.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]