Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
FALMER is a parish and railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, Newhaven union,
Younesmere hundred, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of
Chichester, 54¼ miles from London, 4 north-east from Brighton and south-west from Lewes. The
Brighton and Hastings branch railway passes through here, in a tunnel 200 yards in length, at the end of
which there is a station. The church, rebuilt in 1817, is small, but extremely neat, with a square embattled
tower, nave and chancel. The register dates from 1649. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of
Stanmer, joint net annual value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the
Earl of Chichester alternately, and held by the Rev. Charles George Torrington Barlow, M.A., of Balliol
College, Oxford. The area is 4,358 acres, and the population in 1861 was 512.
BOLMER is one mile north-east; HOUSEDEAN, one mile east; BEVENDEAN, 2 miles south-west.