Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
FELPHAM is a pleasant village and parish, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Avisford,
rape of Arundel, union of West Hampnett, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, one mile east from
Bognor, situated on the shore of the English Channel. The church of St. Mary consists of a spacious
chancel, a nave with two aisles, square tower with 4 bells, built about the reign of Henry VII.; it has been
restored and beautified at the expense of the vicar, aided by voluntary subscriptions. The living
comprises a rectory and a discharged vicarage: the former a sinecure, value £780; the vicarial tithes are
£200 per annum, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Charles
Buchanan Wollaston, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. In a house near the centre of the village the poet
William Hayley died, and was buried here, as was also the Rev. Cyril Jackson, D.D., Dean of Christ
Church. The house formerly occupied by Dr. Jackson is now the residence of the Rev. C. B. Wollaston,
M.A. The principal landowners are the Duke of Richmond and Thomas Sanctuary, Esq. The soil is a rich
loam, producing corn of a superior quality. The population of this parish in 1861 was 592; the area is
FLANSHAM and ANKTON (or Ancton) are hamlets belonging to Felpham. The lands of this, as well as the adjoining parish of Middleton, are occasionally subject to inundations from the sea, which continues to advance upon this line of coast for a considerable distance east and west.