Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
GLYNDE is a parish, in which is the Glynde railway station, on the Lewes and Hastings line, 53 miles
from London, 3 south-east from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Ringmer hundred,
Pevensey rape, West Firle union, Lewes county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of
Chichester, a peculiar of Canterbury, and rural deanery of Rype. It derives its name from the old Saxon
word glen, or valley. The church is in the Grecian style, and was erected in 1765. The living is a
vicarage, yearly value £120, with residence and ten acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and
Canons of Windsor, who are also impropriators of the great tithes, yearly value £140; the Rev. William
de St. Croix, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. On Mount Caburn, a high point
on the Downs, are the remains of an earthwork, supposed to be Roman. Glynde Place is an ancient
mansion, the seat of the Right Hon. Henry Bouverie William Brand, M.P. The area is 1,569 acres, and
the population in 1861 was 321.
RANSCOMBE is one mile west.