Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
GORING is a parish and railway station on the South Coast line, 63¾ miles from London, 3 west from Worthing, and 12¼ from Brighton, in the Western division of the county, Poling hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Arundel, East Preston incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Mary was rebuilt, at a cost of £6,000, in 1837, at the sole expense of David Lyon, Esq. The register dates from about the middle of the 16th century. The living is a vicarage, valued at £164 per annum, with 6½ acres of glebe, in the gift of David Lyon, Esq., and held by the Rev. Francis Caleb Scott, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford. Here is an Endowed Parochial school. Goring Hall is the seat of David Lyon, Esq., who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Castle Goring, the seat of Lady Pechell, is also in this parish. The Miller's Tomb is a mile and a half north-west. The area is 2,182 acres, and the population in 1861 was 535.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]