Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
SOUTH HARTING is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Dumpford hundred, Midhurst union and county court district, Chichester rape, diocese and archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Midhurst, 4 miles south-east from Petersfield, and 7 west from Midhurst. This manor in "Domesday Survey" is called Hertinges: it was the paramount manor of Dumpford hundred, and was held of the Confessor by Countess Gida, and afterwards passed to Earl Montgomery: upon the attainder of the third Earl Montgomery this manor reverted to the Crown, by whom, for many years, it was retained: in 1610 it was granted by the Crown to Sir Edward Caryll, and in this family it continued until 1746: of this family was John Caryll, Esq., who, for his adherence to the fortunes of Charles I., was heavily fined by the Parliament in 1643: his son Richard was created Baron Caryll by James II., at St. Germains: it is the son of this Richard (John Caryll) who is referred to in Pope's letters as the Hon. J. C. The manor, in 1746, was purchased by Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh, Bart., in whose family it still remains. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice, and was restored at the expense of Lady Fetherstonhaugh, and the chancel repaired, and stained glass window added, at the expense of the rector, in 1854: the east wall was rebuilt in 1858, and four stained glass windows and stone reredos added, by Lady Fetherstonhaugh, in memory of her late husband, Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh, Bart.: there is a tower, copper spire, north and south transepts. and a peal of six bells. The register commences in 1567. The living is a vicarage and sinecure rectory, yearly value £233, with residence, in the gift of Lady Fetherstonhaugh, and held by the Rev. Henry Doddridge Gordon, M.A. of New College, Oxford. There is a Parochial school for boys and girls; also a chapel for Independents. The chief part of the land belongs to Lady Fetherstonhaugh, who resides in a mansion, called Up Park. The population in 1861 was 1,247, and the acreage is 7,832.
WEST HARTING is a hamlet of this parish, about a mile north-west from the village.
EAST HARTING joins South Harting.