GENUKI Home page
Sussex Sussex Contents Contents Neighbours Nearby places

Heathfield, Sussex

Map of Sussex

Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.

HEATHFIELD is a parish, 6 miles south-west from Ticehurst Road station, 9 east from Uckfield station, 8 north from Hailsham, and 11 north-west from Battle station, in the Eastern division of the county, Hawkesborough hundred, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, Hailsham union, Hastings rape, diocese of Chichester, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church of All Saints is a plain ancient structure, consisting of nave, two aisles and chancel, with square tower containing 6 bells, surmounted a wooden spire: the ancient chapel, long used as a vestry, on the south side of the church, was rebuilt in the year 1861. The parish register dates from 1581: there are mutilated fragments of a much earlier date. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. William Jackson, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. In the vicarage house is a library of 229 volumes, bequeathed to the use of the vicars of Heathfield for ever by the late Mr. Richard Wilkin, formerly bookseller in London, whose father was about 44 years vicar of Heathfield. Hare are a National school, rebuilt in 1864. an Independent chapel, and a Baptist chapel. A market for corn, seed and hops is held every Thursday at the Crown Inn. Heathfield Park, the seat of Sir Charles William Blunt, Bart., J.P., is beautifully situated and well wooded, commanding extensive sea views: the house, which is modern and commodious, is situated on the east side of the park, and on the west side is the Gibraltar Tower, erected by Francis Newberry, Esq., to commemorate the gallant Conduct of General Elliott at the siege of Gibraltar. The Earls of Ashburnham, Chichester, and De La Warr are lords of the manor. The parish comprises 7,970 acres, and contained in 1861 a population of 1,892.
CADE STREET is half a mile north; Punnett's Town, 2 miles east; Street End, 2 north; Runtington, 1 south-west, are places in this parish.

[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]

Directories