Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HELLINGLY, including Horsebridge, is an extensive parish, in the Eastern division of the county,
Hailsham union, Dill hundred, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, rape and rural deanery of
Pevensey, and diocese of Chichester, 2 miles north from Hailsham Station, 66¼ from London by railway,
12 east from Lewes, and 14 south-west from Battle. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a plain building,
chiefly built of stone, with a tower with 6 bells: the tower was rebuilt in 1836, when 112 additional
sittings were obtained all of which are free. The living is a vicarage, value £344 per annum, with
residence, in the gift of the Earl of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Henry Geldart, M.A., of Clare
College, Cambridge. There is a National school. The parish extends for several miles, but the principal
part is the hamlet called Horsebridge, which lies on the main road from Battle to Lewes. There is a
medicinal spring in the parish, the water of which is considered to be of excellent quality. The fairs are
held at Horsebridge annually, on the 9th of May and 29th September, for cattle. There are two Dissenting
chapels in the parish - one Independent and one Baptist. The Hailsham Union Workhouse is situated in
this parish, and will accommodate 350 persons besides the officers. About 1820 enclosure of land took
place. The Earl of Chichester and the Rev. E. H. Johnson, are the largest landowners. The area is 6,015
acres; the population in 1861 was 1,606.
HORSEBRIDGE is a hamlet on the river Cuckmere.