Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HENFIELD is a village, parish, and railway station on the Shoreham and Horsham branch, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Tipnoak, union of Steyning, rape of Bramber, Chichester diocese, Lewes archdeaconry, Shermanbury rural deanery, and Brighton county court district, 5¾ miles north-east-by-north from Steyning, 11 north from Brighton, 7 from Hassock's gate, 8 north from Shoreham, and 11 south from Horsham. The church of St. Peter is in the later style of English architecture, with massive square tower containing 6 bells, which was repaired in 1855, when the church was also new roofed. The register dates from 1559. The living is a vicarage, value £412 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. John O'Brien, M.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge. There are schools for boys, girls, and infants, supported by voluntary contributions. A Mechanics' Institute has been established, with a library, and a good supply of papers and periodicals: lectures are occasionally given: it comprises upwards of 80 members. The navigable river Adur flows on the west of the parish. The Bishop of Chichester is lord of the manor; and the Hon. Robert Curzon, Thomas Wisden, J. L. W. Dennett, Edwin Parr, and D. and L. Borrer, Esqrs., are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy. The chief crops are wheat turnips, and oats. The population in 1861 was 1,662; the area is 4,491 acres.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]