Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HOLLINGTON is a parish, 2½ miles north-west from Hastings, in the Eastern division of the county, Baldslow rape, rural deanery and county court district of Hastings, union of Battle, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. Hollington church attracts many visitors from Hastings, being situated in a wood, and of considerable antiquity: a memorial window is erected at the east end of the church, in memory of the late Sir Charles Montolieu Lamb, Bart., of Beauport: the church has recently been completely restored in memory of the late Mrs. Dampier. The first stone of a new church was laid in October, 1865, to accommodate a newly settled population of some 500 souls: the style is Early English. This parish is supposed formerly to have included the parish of St. Leonard's, as the parish register in many instances refers to St. Leonard's-in-Hollington. The living is an endowed vicarage, value £325 per annum, in the gift of C. J. Eversfield of Denne Park, Horsham, and held by the Rev. Rose Fuller Whistler, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. There is a school for boys and girls, supported by subscription: the school-house is a neat building of red brick. Beech Farm, Hollington, is very remarkable for a large beech tree which is a guide to sailors when at a great distance out at sea: the house and farm belong to William Rowe Lewis, Esq., J.P. Thomas Papillon, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Sir Archibald Lamb, Bart., and Countess of Waldegrave, C. G. Eversfield, Esq., and Alderman Stone are the largest landowners. The parish comprises an area of 2,470 acres, and the population in 1861 was 800.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]