Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
ICKLESHAM is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Rye union and county court district, Guestling hundred, Hastings rape, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington, 2 miles south-west from Winchelsea, and 85 from London. The register dates from 1598. The living is a vicarage, with the curacy of Rye Harbour annexed, joint annual value £735, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held by the Rev. Henry Burgess Whitaker Churton, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, and rural dean; the Rev. Elijah Harrison Littlewood, B.A., is curate. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. RYE HARBOUR, distant 5 miles from the church, belongs to this parish, where is the church of the Holy Spirit, a neat building, with small spire and 1 bell. The area of the parish is 5,700 acres, and the population in 1861 was 816.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]