Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
UPPER WALTHAM is a small Parish, on the high road from Petworth to Chichester, 6 miles south-west from the former and 8 north-east from the latter city, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The parish forms a portion of the South Downs of which the soil is chalky, and the surface boldly undulated. The church is a small building, in the Early English style, with a circular east end. The register commences in 1790. The living is a rectory, value £128 per annum, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Henry Cogan, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at East Dean. The area is 1,245 acres, and the population in 1861 was 71.[Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]